Re: compilation problems

I guess it would be the binutils package... Search for the package when you run base-config, to find out.

 Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 10:20:30PM +0100, Christian Fuchs wrote:
> Dear Debian Community,
>
> I just installed Debian 3.0.0r0 from the set of 7 cd's and I am very
> excited about it
> (and a new user to debian).
>
> I have, however a problem compiling any kind of C - Files.
>
> I first tried compiling the kernbel source and got errors; then i write
> a small
> hello-word program and i also got the same compilation errors.

Have you installed build-essential? This package pulls in the basic
stuff needed for compiling C and C++ programs. It's the absolute
minimum that you need for, funnily enough, compiling 'Hello World' :)

> The output is attached below.
>
> I think that this woudl eb a package misselection i did during the
> system install, but I
> cannot think of whi ch package that might be. Can anyone give me a hint
> of what to
> try?
>
> ===Cut===
> File: test.c
>
> #include
>
> void main (void) {
> printf("hello world!");
> }
> ===Cut===
> Output compilation errors test.c
>
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/types.h:132,
> from /usr/include/stdlib.h:390,
> from test.c:1:
> /usr/include/time.h:82: parse error before `clockid_t'
> /usr/include/time.h:82: warning: data definition has no type or storage
> class
> /usr/include/time.h:94: parse error before `timer_t'
> /usr/include/time.h:94: warning: data definition has no type or storage
> class
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/types.h:215,
> from /usr/include/stdlib.h:390,
> from test.c:1:
> /usr/include/sys/select.h:49: parse error before `suseconds_t'
> /usr/include/sys/select.h:49: warnin g: data definition has no type or
> storage class
> /usr/include/sys/select.h:55: conflicting types for `__fd_mask'
> /usr/local/include/bits/types.h:89: previous declaration of `__fd_mask'
> test.c: In function `main':
> test.c:3: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
> ===Cut===

Woah, weird. I'd say it's missing packages. Try installing
build-essential and try again; if it still doesn't work, email the list
again.

--
Rob Weir http://ertius.org/