Re: deb(x)conf

Andy Hurt <andy.rew6@verizon.net> writes:

> Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:45:15AM -0500, Andy Hurt wrote:
>>
>>> But, I'm concerned about the lines:
>>>
>>> # If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only
>>> make # changes before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above,
>>> and/or after
>>> # the "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
>>>
>>> I manage XF86Config-4 with debconf.
>>>
>>> I know the file almost by heart, but seem to remember Branden warning
>>> about making changes between those lines . . . .
>> Yes, it will nuke your changes next time debconf has a go at it.  I
>> think it's safe to add another section outside the lines (which is
>> probably what you meant in the first place /me slaps self), but it's
>> been a long time since I let debconf play with my XF86Config-4.
>
> So, I'm thinking tht deb(x)conf is kinda like a shoulder to lean-on.  A
> guide that one may forgo after a while?
>
> I could easily skip the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86--heck, I have 3
> copies of XF86Config-4 laying-around that I use mostly as reminders,
>
> Maybe this is what debconf is about--a shoulder to lean-on until one
> learns the route from home > store > home.

No, debconf is just for gathering user input at install (or reconfigure)
time to pass along to the package maintainer scripts.  If the maintainer
scripts generate files that tell you not to modify them, then heed that
advice.  There generally isn't a way to bypass debconf usage (though you
can disable /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 generation with xserver-xfree86).

In your situation, what you want to do is run 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86' and choose not to write a Files section.  Then, place
your custom Files section outside of the

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
[...]
### END DEBCONF SECTION

stuff.

--
I had no feelings about it.  It was aloof and licked itself too much.
Like my cat Mr. Trotsky.