why doesn't XF86Config-4 include defoma-managed TrueType fonts?

I'm trying to determine the most "standard" way of making defoma-managed
TrueType fonts available under X11.

I'm using an XF86Config-4 file generated by debconf, ie.

    # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I take the default options wherever possible, including allowing debconf to
generate the "Files" section.  I'm suprised that the resulting "Files"
section excludes "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType".  If I
add this directory to the font-path, I get the fonts I'm after.  On the
other hand, it does include "unix/:7100", even though I don't have a
font-server running.

What's the best way to do this?  Should I

  (a) Disable debconf control of the "Files" section, and craft my own?

  (b) Install "xfs", and allow TrueType fonts to be supplied via
      "unix/:7100"?

  (c) Install "xfs-xtt", and allow TrueType font to be supplied via
      "unix/:7110"?

  (d) Some other even better way?

--
cheers, Mike