Re: hard drive partitioning questions

on Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 05:12:21PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen (nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
> thanks to all who responded -- this has been immensely useful.  right
> now i'm thinking:
>
> /     100M
> /usr  3G
> /tmp  100M
> /var  3G
> swap  384M
> /home rest

That looks better.  Probably a bit rich for /var.

I'd also do 3-4 swap partitions, each 1-2 x the size of your current memory
allocation.  Here's why:

   - You want your swap roughly paired with your memory allocation.
     Swap = 1x or 2x memory is the standard guideline.  Usually a new
     system has only a fraction of the total possible system memory.
     Count on maxing your RAM as the system grows, so you're going to
     want an allocation (available swap partitions) of ~2x your maximum
     possible RAM.  Since having _too_ much swap can result in sluggish
     performance (your system swaps and lags while doing it), you'll
     want to cut this allocation up into reasonable chunks.

   - IMO 1GB is sufficient for /var on a baseline Debian system, where
     the primarly use is storing package archives.  If you're running
     special-purpose servers (particularly logging, usenet, mail,
     database, or very large website), you may want to add to your /var
     allocation, though creating dedicated partitions may also be
     useful.  Advantages of partitioning:  management of space, ability
     to specify performance or security related options (nodev, nosuid,
     blocksize, async mounts, etc.).  Disadvantages:  more things to
     think about.

> a couple questions more:
>
> - i need to make / bootable, right?

Usually.

> - i don't think i need a /usr/local, as i don't think i usually
>   download and compile a lot from non-debian sources ... but i might
>   be wrong on that one.  what do most people have in theirs?

You don't *need* any partitions other than /.  Creating separate
partitions for /, /usr, /home, /tmp, /var, /usr/local, /boot,
/var/spool, /var/www, etc., is a _convenience_ for better managing your
system.

If you don't mount an additional filesystem at a particular point, then
that directory tree simply resides on the parent filesystem.  In your
case, /usr/local will be on the /usr filesystem.

> now, what i'm most confused on:
> - if i can only have 3 primary partitions if i want more than 4
>   partitions total, do i just designate the first three (/, /usr, and
>   /tmp) as the primary ones, and then just keep partitioning my merry
>   way along, designating all the rest to be logical?  will that work,
>   or do i need to make four partitions, and somehow subdivide the last
>   one into the rest of the partitions i want?  i think it's the former
>   and i'm just confusing myself ... please correct me if i'm wrong
>   here.

If you have more than four partitions, you partition anywhere from 0-3
as primary partitions, have at least one extended partition, and the
remainder are logical partitions within the extended partition(s).

In practice, I generally use 3 primary, one extended, and the remainder
logical, partitions.

> - i *do* need to specifically partition /home as its own partition,
>   right?

No, see above.  Though it's generally useful practice.

Peace.