Re: hard drive partitioning questions

On December 31, 2002 01:06 am, the fabulous Nori Heikkinen wrote:

> there can only be 3 primary partitions if i want a logical one too, if
> i've read correctly ... so, do i make the first three primary, and the
> rest logical?  or is there a better method to going about it?  it
> doesn't really matter, does it?

I think you're correct, it doesn't really matter.  I generally go for 3
primary and the rest logical.

> or, should i forget all of the above, and just go with / and swap?
> that seems easier, but are there drawbacks?

On servers I always go with multiple partitions, on desktops I sometimes don't
bother.  Off the top of my head a few advantages of multiple partitions are:

- bad blocks on part of your disk are less likely to destroy the entire
  system, i.e. perhaps they'll only affect one partition (I'm not certain on
  this one)
- if you decide to add new/additional disks later having multiple partitions
  can make it easier to shuffle your data onto those new disks
- if a process goes haywire and dumps a lot of data on disk it will be less
  likely to take down the entire system (i.e. /tmp might be ok even if /var is
  full or vice-versa)
- quotas are generally applied on a per-filesystem basis, having multiple
  partitions lets you gain a little more control although it also means a
  little more work

> also, it's been said that i should use ext3, not ext2.  partition
> types 82 and 83 are ext2, no?  am i confused on that? (obviously)
> how/when should i change this?

As far as I know type 83 just means "Linux Native".  Most Linux filesystems
(ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, etc.) will work on this partition.  If you're
using RAID you might want to look at type FD (RAID Autodetect).

Fraser