Re: hard drive partitioning questions

thanks to all who responded -- this has been immensely useful.  right
now i'm thinking:

/     100M
/usr  3G
/tmp  100M
/var  3G
swap  384M
/home rest

a couple questions more:

- i need to make / bootable, right?

- i don't think i need a /usr/local, as i don't think i usually
  download and compile a lot from non-debian sources ... but i might
  be wrong on that one.  what do most people have in theirs?

now, what i'm most confused on:
- if i can only have 3 primary partitions if i want more than 4
  partitions total, do i just designate the first three (/, /usr, and
  /tmp) as the primary ones, and then just keep partitioning my merry
  way along, designating all the rest to be logical?  will that work,
  or do i need to make four partitions, and somehow subdivide the last
  one into the rest of the partitions i want?  i think it's the former
  and i'm just confusing myself ... please correct me if i'm wrong
  here.

- i *do* need to specifically partition /home as its own partition,
  right?  yeah, okay, i do.  and this can be the entire rest of the
  disk?  i don't need to leave anything left over?  or should i, just
  as some sort of security backup, in case i were to need to
  repartition ... or is that not even an option?

thanks again, all!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu