Re: hard drive partitioning questions

Nori Heikkinen wrote:
i'm installing debian on a brand-new new hard drive on my home system
(i.e., personal usage), and am at the point of making a swap
partition.  cfdisk is up, and i'm trying to figure out what partitions
i should specify.  i'm reading the the woody installation how-tos [1],
and am kind of confused.
i just bought a new 80G hard drive.  i should partition the whole
thing, right?  i'm thinking:

/dev/hda1 -- / (Linux (83)) -- 100M (is this appropriate?)
/dev/hda2 -- /usr (83) -- 1G (too much?)
/dev/hda3 -- swap (82) -- 128M (i have that much physical RAM, and
             that should be sufficient, right?) should i make this
             hda1?
/dev/hda3 -- /var -- 2 or 3 G, as per suggestion of [1] (i like apt)
/dev/hda4 -- /tmp -- 50M-ish?
/dev/hda5 -- /home -- the rest, all for me :)

Am i missing something here?? How can u have that may primary partitions? I always thought that u have to have at least one extended partition in order to have partitions beyond 4. Maybe Linux overcomes this limitation but u will definitely have problems sharing the disk with other O/S.

Anyway, it's really a matter of taste. I usually use something like:

hda1: type 6 ~500MB for Boot hda2: extended rest of disk hda5: type 83 2..4GB for complete Linux except /boot hda6: type 82 2xMEM for swap hda7: type 83 ~4G for /home (important stuff that needs backup) hda8: type 83 (big) for /data (multimedia stuff, downloads...) hda9: spare for other O/S ?

That's just my EUR 0.02

Heinrich