kernel recompile

I've just recompiled my kernel and it failed at the very last
step (installing the kernel). My procedure:

1) Use "make xconfig" to choose my settings
2) make dep clean bzImage modules
3) make install modules_install

I received no error messages until the very end when make install
tried to write to LILO and couldn't find it (because I don't use
LILO, I use GRUB). It offered to make a bootable floppy, and I
chose "yes". The floppy was made, but Debian crashes immediately
when I boot off that floppy.

I tried copying the file "vmlinuz" on the floppy and putting it
into /boot, but that leads to the same problem - instant crash.

Should I conclude that the new kernel I created, "vmlinuz", is
screwed? Or is there something else I need to do to install my
new kernel?

By the way, is there some good documentation on this? I'm just
using an old Redhat book as my guide, but I'd prefer something
Debian specific.

thanks in advance,
Robert