win2k WS FTP doesn't play well with debian

This is a repeat request for help.

Windows2000 machine :: networked to :: Debian
All files are browsable in WS FTP.  When beginning a file transfer, the file
name appears in the destination directory on the debian machine, then the
transfer locks up immediately.  after about a minute, an error message:
!Send error: connection reset  or
!Receive error: Blocking call canceled

Someone suggested to check my file permissions.  Sorry, but as far as I can
tell, that was bogus advice.  Anyone possibly know what is going on here?
Is this a win/ws ftp problem?  I don't see any indication of what could
possibly be wrong.

Sasha