Re: hesiod

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:01:14PM -0500, David Z Maze wrote:
> > 'apt-cache show zephyr-server'; I assumed since your original question
> > was about zephyr you were trying to set it up...  *prods*  Oh, I see
> > now: the Cyrus IMAP server added support for sending notification via
> > zephyr a long long time ago, so if your site uses zephyr, you can
> > request to get a little window pop up on your screen every time you
> > get mail.  /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/notifyd appears to do this task, so
> > Cyrus depends on Zephyr depends on Hesiod.
>
> Does Cyrus really have to *depend* on Zephyr, though?  It's certainly an

Yes. It depends on the LIBS, if you don't want to use it, you just ignore it
altogether and let apt do its job.  The libs in your system won't hurt you,
and you _certainly_ don't have to install the zephyr and hesiod servers and
clients.

> have Zephyr or Hesiod installed.  Perhaps a softer dependency like
> Suggests or Recommends would be more appropriate.  I'm sure a large

It would probably cause trouble with undefined symbols when running the
program.  You can try using dpkg to force-purge the libs you don't want, and
then see if Cyrus still runs ok.  If it does, file a wishlist bug, and I
will think about it.

  Henrique Holschuh