Re: printing - from beginning

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 04:31:34PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> Sandip :
>     Don't start two threads on the same day regarding the same
>     problem.  That makes it hard to follow what you've tried, what
>     dosn't work, and what suggestions you've already had.  Just start
>     one thread and continue with it.

my apologies to group for the inconvenience caused. it was not intentional and i will make sure to avoid it in future.

> With a "real" or "normal" printer, what happens is this :
>     1)  the shell sees the redirect and opens the file /dev/lp0 for writing
>     2)  the kernel sees that the file is a device node so it
>         intercepts the open call and passes it to the registered
>         kernel module instead of to the filesystem (in this case one
>         of parport, parport_pc or lp; I'm not sure what the exact
>         relationship is between them)
>     3)  the shell writes the text to the file
>     4)  the device driver passes it to the device
>     5)  the printer on the other end of the cable receives the data
>         and decides what to do about it
>     6)  Here a normal printer would just spit out that text on a page.
>         Since you have a "Win" or "PPA" printer _and_ since the text
>         isn't a valid PPA data stream the printer ignores it.

thanx. this answers my apprehension as to why my printer keeps quiet when i try echo "SOMETHING" > /dev/lp0

> CUPS is quite easy to use with nearly any printer.  It does have quite
> a few moving parts to achieve that (kinda like a car has a lot of
> moving parts, but it is easier to drive 13 miles to school than it is
> to ride a bike or walk).
>
> One of the "moving parts" you'll need for your printer is the PPD file
> Stephen refers to.  It is included in the 'cupsomatic-ppd' package.
> PPD stands for Postscript Printer Definition; it is this file that
> tells CUPS how to handle your printer.

okay. i am getting the file and i have already installed pnm2ppa package

> For that particular printer you'll also need the 'pnm2ppa' package.
>

> Remembering that CUPS is quite flexible, you'll need to recognize that
> it supports many different methods for accessing the printer itself.
> For a PC the traditional method is using the parallel port.  CUPS
> identifies such access as "parallel:".  The first parallel port in
> the system being identified as "parallel:/dev/lp0".

ohh! now, the options that lynx localhost:631 gave me never included parallel:/dev/lp0 as option! it included everything else jet direct, ipp, socket and all other stuff but not parallel!

> The "AppSocket" method (also called "JetDirect") is HP's network
> protocol for their JetDirect system.  You would use this only if you
> have a really expensive networked HP printer or if you bought a
> (fairly expensive) JetDirect box to connect a less expensive printer
> to.  You have neither in your home (or else you would know what it
> is).  IPP is "Internet Printing Protocol".  It is the latest standard,
> meant to replace the legacy 'lpd' and 'smb' protocols.  'lpd' and
> 'smb' are, as you would expect, bridges to legacy lpd and
> windows/samba systems.  You don't need to worry about any of these,
> unless you just want to know what's out there and why they exist.

not till i get this huge paperweight on my desk working! :)

> quite simple for you to access the web interface to add your printer.
> All the information you need to fill in the forms is given above.

thanx a ton. i will give it a shot right away. hope it works this time!

>                           Your mouse has moved.
>        You must restart Windows for your changes to take effect.

this says it perfectly! i think the day is not far when this message will actually pop up! ;)

thanx yet again and apologies for starting multiple threads.

sandip p deshmukh