Re: printing - from beginning

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:50:22PM -0800, nate wrote:
> Sandip P Deshmukh said:
>
> > i run debian woody 3.0 and i have a good working hp deskjet 710c connected
> > to my parellel port.
> >
> > what kernel modules do i need to load so that i am able to print?
>
> parport
> parport_pc
> lp

i think i have all thse modules installed. how do i make sure that i have them up and loaded?
here is what dmesg has to say:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
parport0: irq 7 detected
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

> to turn on the IRQ on your parport on 2.4.x its a command
> line option to one of the modules(parport_pc i think)
>
> modprobe parport_pc irq=7

i think irq is already turned on!

> your printer(Deskjet 710C) is a winprinter,

could be. but if i do echo "SOMETHING" > /dev/lp0, what is happening? as printer doesnt even blink!

> research I didn't find much info on it, apparently it is possible
> for it to work, the fastest way may be to install the printer
> on a Suse, redhat, mandrake or something system let it configure
> the printer(if they can) and copy the config over. or you can
> google some more ..the printer doesn't appear to accept postscript
> or ascii, some special filter has to be run before printing to
> convert the data into something the printer understands.

no tools available in debian that will do the trick?

thanx again

sandip p deshmukh

I'd rather be led to hell than managed to heavan.