Re: printing - from beginning

This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:50:22PM -0800, nate wrote:
> i think i have all thse modules installed. how do i make sure that i
> have them up and loaded?  here is what dmesg has to say:

/sbin/lsmod

> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
> parport0: irq 7 detected
> lp0: using parport0 (polling).

Good, that's as it should be, although if all is working well, you
should also get a printer identification in there, like this:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,EPP]
parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 1600C
parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

it looks like maybe parport_pc isn't loaded for you.

> > your printer(Deskjet 710C) is a winprinter,
>
> could be. but if i do echo "SOMETHING" > /dev/lp0, what is happening?
> as printer doesnt even blink!

I had a 712C (IIRC) working just fine, which uses the same driver.  Have
you tried using the ppd generated by linuxprinting.org?

This link:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi?driver=pnm2ppa&printer=61472&.submit=Generate+PPD+file
is the one for CUPS.

They also report that this printer works 'perfectly' so don't despair
yet (^:

> no tools available in debian that will do the trick?

So, first check if parport_pc is loaded, and if not, load it with
modconf - that way it will load at boot each time.  If that doesn't get
things going, try the ppd generated by linuxprinting.org, at the link
above.

> thanx again
>
> sandip p deshmukh ------***--------
HTH,
|Stephen Gran                  | Ad astra per aspera.  [To the stars by        |
|steve@lobefin.net             | aspiration.]                                  |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |