Re: printing - from beginning

Sandip :
    Don't start two threads on the same day regarding the same
    problem.  That makes it hard to follow what you've tried, what
    dosn't work, and what suggestions you've already had.  Just start
    one thread and continue with it.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:59:35PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
| This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:

| > On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:50:22PM -0800, nate wrote:

| Good, that's as it should be, although if all is working well, you
| should also get a printer identification in there, like this:
|
| parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,EPP]
| parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 1600C
| parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378
| lp0: using parport0 (polling).
|
| it looks like maybe parport_pc isn't loaded for you.

FWIW I don't recall ever seeing those modules identify the parallel
port chipset nor the printer when they load.  However all the printers
I've tried have worked.

| > > your printer(Deskjet 710C) is a winprinter,
| >
| > could be. but if i do echo "SOMETHING" > /dev/lp0, what is happening?
| > as printer doesnt even blink!

With a "real" or "normal" printer, what happens is this :
    1)  the shell sees the redirect and opens the file /dev/lp0 for writing
    2)  the kernel sees that the file is a device node so it
        intercepts the open call and passes it to the registered
        kernel module instead of to the filesystem (in this case one
        of parport, parport_pc or lp; I'm not sure what the exact
        relationship is between them)
    3)  the shell writes the text to the file
    4)  the device driver passes it to the device
    5)  the printer on the other end of the cable receives the data
        and decides what to do about it
    6)  Here a normal printer would just spit out that text on a page.
        Since you have a "Win" or "PPA" printer _and_ since the text
        isn't a valid PPA data stream the printer ignores it.

| I had a 712C (IIRC) working just fine, which uses the same driver.  Have
| you tried using the ppd generated by linuxprinting.org?
|
| This link:
| http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi?driver=pnm2ppa&printer=61472&.submit=Generate+PPD+file
| is the one for CUPS.
|
| They also report that this printer works 'perfectly' so don't despair
| yet (^:
|
| > no tools available in debian that will do the trick?
|
| So, first check if parport_pc is loaded, and if not, load it with
| modconf - that way it will load at boot each time.  If that doesn't get
| things going, try the ppd generated by linuxprinting.org, at the link
| above.

CUPS is quite easy to use with nearly any printer.  It does have quite
a few moving parts to achieve that (kinda like a car has a lot of
moving parts, but it is easier to drive 13 miles to school than it is
to ride a bike or walk).

One of the "moving parts" you'll need for your printer is the PPD file
Stephen refers to.  It is included in the 'cupsomatic-ppd' package.
PPD stands for Postscript Printer Definition; it is this file that
tells CUPS how to handle your printer.

For that particular printer you'll also need the 'pnm2ppa' package.

Remembering that CUPS is quite flexible, you'll need to recognize that
it supports many different methods for accessing the printer itself.
For a PC the traditional method is using the parallel port.  CUPS
identifies such access as "parallel:".  The first parallel port in
the system being identified as "parallel:/dev/lp0".

The "AppSocket" method (also called "JetDirect") is HP's network
protocol for their JetDirect system.  You would use this only if you
have a really expensive networked HP printer or if you bought a
(fairly expensive) JetDirect box to connect a less expensive printer
to.  You have neither in your home (or else you would know what it
is).  IPP is "Internet Printing Protocol".  It is the latest standard,
meant to replace the legacy 'lpd' and 'smb' protocols.  'lpd' and
'smb' are, as you would expect, bridges to legacy lpd and
windows/samba systems.  You don't need to worry about any of these,
unless you just want to know what's out there and why they exist.

Once you've installed the necessary supporting packages it should be
quite simple for you to access the web interface to add your printer.
All the information you need to fill in the forms is given above.

HTH,
-D

--
                          Your mouse has moved.
       You must restart Windows for your changes to take effect.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/