printing - from beginning

hello all

i am completely at loss when it comes to printing. i have tried and tried and tried. and failed!

i have read www.linuxprinting.com/howto - no use still. now, here are my questions:

i run debian woody 3.0 and i have a good working hp deskjet 710c connected to my parellel port.

what kernel modules do i need to load so that i am able to print?

there is an entry /dev/lp0 and this is how it looks:

crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 Mar 15  2002 /dev/lp0

sandip is part of lp group.

if i issue echo "GARBAGE" > /dev/lp0

just plain nothing happens!!

why is that so? what do i need to do to set it right? i think this is crux of my printing problems! for i think unless something happens on that command, not much can be expected to happen.

any suggestions?

thanx in advance

sandip p deshmukh

(null cookie; hope that's ok)