Re: linux file systems

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 04:36:44PM -0400, james leclair wrote:
> Hello, relatively new debian user here. Could someone please point me in
> the direction of a good tutorial on linux file systems. I guess I just cant
> get myself out of thinking the ms-dos way:)

I don't know about a tutorial, but think of the unix filesystem as
just one hard drive.  Mount is analogous to DOS's JOIN command.  Doing
something like

C:\> join a:\ c:\floppy

would cause anything read from or written to c:\floppy to actually
access the first floppy drive.

Likewise, something like

# mount /dev/fd0 /floppy

would cause the first floppy drive to be accessible in the /floppy
directory.

DOS confuses the idea of devices and filesystems by making each block
device (floppy, tape, cdrom, dvd, burner, hard, etc drive) be
considered it's own filesystem and having many devices having no
direct means to read or write from them.

--
 .''`.     Baloo Ursidae <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user