Re: Knoppix-Piggy and Debian installer

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 19:09, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Mark L. Kahnt said:
> > On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 17:44, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > > ulimit -a show anything?  What size is the file when it dies?
> >
> > That's part of it, nothing locally really seems to show anywhere as
> > being a problem, and the stuff I've dug into for some info shows no
> > clues from my end. ulimit -a says:
> > <all fine>
> > ...in other words, nothing that should be a problem. It isn't a quota or
> > disk space problem, either. The downloads have varied, depending on
> > which ISO, but one gave me about 21 meg, whatever the source, another
> > gave me 53 meg, and the most recent ISO has been dying around 113 meg. I
> > can break, reconnect, and try to resume, but as I said, not a single
> > data byte gets sent - as though something in the ISO is triggering
> > servers to stop the file transfer, while the software on my end is
> > expecting far more data.
>
> Hmm . . . do you have a LAN or something that you can test this on (even
> a twisted pair or a SLIP/PLIP connection to a second box) so that you
> can try large file transfers beteen them?  How does something like jigdo
> work for you?  I'm kind of fumbling around, here, in case you didn't
> notice.
>
> --
>  Stephen Gran                   | Q:	How many Marxists does it take to screw
>  steve@lobefin.net              | in a light bulb?
>  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve  | A:	None:  The light bulb contains the
>                                 | seeds of its own revolution.

You and me both fumbling at this - my hope was that there was something
I was overlooking - maybe filtering or firewall (I've tried this with
every part of those shut off) or even some sort of management setting on
how much bandwidth I can bring into my own box in a stretch of time.
I've tried pulling ISOs through my own webserver and ftp server on the
box, with no problems, but at the moment I don't have a working second
box available (my second computer "hosed" fried its cpu after 5 1/2
years of 24/7 operation without a reliable fan on its heatsink) - I want
(whether this happens or not depends on clients wanting to buy enough to
get a volume discount on equipment) a couple rack mountable smp units,
but *wanted* systems don't transfer files until they are actually
*bought and installed* ;)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org