Re: Knoppix-Piggy and Debian installer

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 17:44, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Mark L. Kahnt said:
> > That is what I've been doing, but not a single additional data byte ever
> > comes, with wget or ftp reget or whatever else. While I've had this
> > problem with http transfers in the past on some large files
> > (multi-megabytes usually) from *certain* websites, only the Knoppix ISOs
> > have been a problem on Debian (although the Red Hat ISOs I tried to get
> > for a client on his Windows XP system also had this problem - she was
> > insistent that she wanted Red Hat, and knew I'd charge her less for my
> > consulting time if I could do the download on her office bandwidth.) It
> > is frustrating, and the main reason I want it is not for my machines,
> > but for a friend to have a non-destructive way to try Linux on his XP
> > box before he adds a second drive and has space to install a proper o/s
> > (which I know he'll have me look after - installing the drive and then
> > Linux - I'll probably even be administering the system for him over ssh
> > after that.)
>
> ulimit -a show anything?  What size is the file when it dies?
>
> --
> Stephen Gran                  |"Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed."
> steve@lobefin.net             |-- Robin, The Boy Wonder
> http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |

That's part of it, nothing locally really seems to show anywhere as
being a problem, and the stuff I've dug into for some info shows no
clues from my end. ulimit -a says:

core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) unlimited
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) unlimited
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

...in other words, nothing that should be a problem. It isn't a quota or
disk space problem, either. The downloads have varied, depending on
which ISO, but one gave me about 21 meg, whatever the source, another
gave me 53 meg, and the most recent ISO has been dying around 113 meg. I
can break, reconnect, and try to resume, but as I said, not a single
data byte gets sent - as though something in the ISO is triggering
servers to stop the file transfer, while the software on my end is
expecting far more data.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org