Re: [despammed] Re: odd networking problem

Alright, after playing around some more.. I have discovered that
non-Debian distros work as the workstation.  Linux BBC (bootable
business card) worked fine, as did Mandrake.  BBC used kernel
2.4.5-xfs.. any ideas what might be wrong?

Monday, October 7, 2002, 12:39:40 PM, debian-user@lists.debian.org (debian-user) wrote:

Jeff> Ed McMan, 2002-Oct-06 19:22 -0400:
Jeff> <snip>

>> Here is the weird part.  This computer works fine using the same
>> configuration in Windows.  All the other computers work fine too.  I
>> have been trying to figure out what the problem is, so I did some
>> packet sniffing with ethereal on the router.
>>
>> I listened for any packets going to or from the debian machine in
>> question.  I ran ping (some host on the internet) and let it sit.  The
>> first two pings went through, and then it stopped.  The *really* weird
>> part is that the machine stopped sending the pings!  Well, the router
>> wasn't receiving them anyway.  Another oddity is that running
>> /etc/init.d/networking restart on the workstation would fix the problem, for a few more
>> packets.  After letting ping sit, another ping would go through about
>> every five minutes.

Jeff> This is weird.  A few thoughts...

Jeff> - are there firewall rules on the router that might be limiting ICMP?

Jeff> - could system be on a bad switch port? or patch cable?

Jeff> - are there errors being generated on the eth1 interface,
Jeff>   e.g. ifconfig eth1 ?  perhaps a bad NIC?

| Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@despammed.com> http://www.m00.net |
| AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 MSN:edmcman@^  |
|  "We Trills have an expression--at forty, you think you     |
|  know everything. At four hundred, you realize you know     |
|           nothing." - Dax, Star Trek Deep Space 9           |