GnomeICU and Woody

I recently updated from potato to woody, and got a new version of
GnomeICU. The old version had a very nice chat feature where you could see
the other person typing away.
The new version doesn't seen to have this facility, it looks like everyhting
is done via messages, i.e. have to hit enter to send the message.
There is a chat mode toggle, but it doesn't seem to do anything...

Has anyone got a workaround/fix for this problem?

I guess i could go back and get the previous version from potato or try to
use the even never version in testing (anyone know if this does real chat?)
or try to find some other chat program to try.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.