Linux: a gentle, growing approach

I want to master Linux. I figure there are two ways to learn Linux
system administration and usage. The first is to install a distribution
and then explore it's nooks and crannies. The second is to begin with a
seed and *grow* the nooks and crannies as needed. The former method is
overwhelmingly used; I'd like to see more of the latter, because it's
the more effective approach for advanced studies.

I believe that the second approach is superior because complexity is
best understood when the student understands why the complexity was
introduced in the first place. And the best way to accomplish *that* is
to present the student with the problems that the complexity was
originally introduced to solve. Then when they are stumped, you can give
them the answer and they can say, "ah".

WRT GNU/Linux in general and the Debian distribution in particular,
there are several aspects of the OS that still baffle me, and frankly
intimidate me with their complexity. The boot process is one of these,
as is the nature of the filesystem, dev and proc in particular. Logging
is opaque to me. There are many aspects of the system where it is not
clear where the responsibilities of one program ends and the other
begins. I find the blurred distinction between shell scripts and
compiled programs to be confusing. Not to mention the dizzying array of
configuration files and their baroque syntax!

I am looking to understand and manipulate a Linux system with the
minimum number of tools to accomplish certain simple goals. The goals
increase in complexity. Tools should be introduced only as needed to
accomplish a goal that is simply impossible (or would require an
inordinate amount of shell or c work) with a current toolset.

Is there some resource that takes this approach to learning Linux? Would
others find this approach useful? Are there any Linux gurus and/or
students interested in trying this approach?

(It seems impossible for a student to teach themselves in this way, as
laying out the goals and meting out the tools requires an expert level
of understanding. In particular, setting up a system that is either
actually devoid of tools are has many aspects 'turned off' is a rather
daunting task.)

What do ya think?

Thanks,
Josh Rehman, LGW