Re: Linux: a gentle, growing approach

Josh Rehman wrote:

> I want to master Linux. I figure there are two ways to learn Linux
> system administration and usage. The first is to install a distribution
> and then explore it's nooks and crannies. The second is to begin with a
> seed and *grow* the nooks and crannies as needed. The former method is
> overwhelmingly used; I'd like to see more of the latter, because it's
> the more effective approach for advanced studies....

Get a second PC that would normally be junked.
Install linux without X, then use and study it only in console mode.
Get samba and ethernet working so you can browse the linux pc from
the windows box and surf the net for howtos. Learn some bash scripting
and study the start-up scripts. Get books. I got lots of books on linux
and programming bash and perl and introductory books on TCP/IP etc
that were marked down %80 because they were 3 years old, but they're
still good for learning and have lots of relevant stuff. Linux revolves
around networking and TCP/IP, so should study the basics of networking.
Then, install X and X apps piece by piece and study the X startup scripts
involving xdm etc. Lastly install things like printing, mail, sound, etc.
Try installing WINE and migrate from windoze. Before any of this, figure
a way to copy your HDD for backups.