Re: Linux: a gentle, growing approach

also sprach Josh Rehman <java.josh@verizon.net> [2002.10.13.2050 +0200]:
> I am looking to understand and manipulate a Linux system with the
> minimum number of tools to accomplish certain simple goals. The goals
> increase in complexity. Tools should be introduced only as needed to
> accomplish a goal that is simply impossible (or would require an
> inordinate amount of shell or c work) with a current toolset.
>
> Is there some resource that takes this approach to learning Linux? Would
> others find this approach useful? Are there any Linux gurus and/or
> students interested in trying this approach?

Yes. You have this mailing list. Do you want your hand to be held,
then that might become difficult. Do you want to push yourself into
further depth on topics, then you are exactly right and welcome here.
Start reading some documentation at www.tldp.org -- There are HOWTOs
(including one describing the boot prompt "from boot to shell" or
something like that) and more complete, book-type approaches.

Understand the basics first, like how a computer boots, what happens
between then and the shell prompt with which a user then works, and
how files, filesystems, and harddrives play together. All this is
widely documented.

Then define your task, what you want to do with this system. Segregate
the process into steps and take one by one, with the help of this
mailing list.

> (It seems impossible for a student to teach themselves in this way, as
> laying out the goals and meting out the tools requires an expert level
> of understanding.

You were given a mouth (well, fingers in this case...) Ask questions!

> In particular, setting up a system that is either actually devoid of
> tools are has many aspects 'turned off' is a rather daunting task.)

Install Debian as usual, when asked whether to run dselect or tasksel,
just say no to both. It's that easy.

> What do ya think?

I would love to teach linux one a step-by-step basis. The problem is
that I would want personal communication and would need money for
that. So the geographic constraint is one, the financial is another.
But if you'd be around in Switzerland or Germany, and you'd be willing
to pay a fair price for practical group seminars, then all I need is
some help on the infrastructure and I will teach. I mean, you asked,
so I said...

`. `'`