Re: Linux: a gentle, growing approach

On Sunday 13 October 2002 11:50 am, Josh Rehman wrote:
> I want to master Linux. I figure there are two ways to learn Linux
> system administration and usage. The first is to install a distribution
> and then explore it's nooks and crannies. The second is to begin with a
> seed and *grow* the nooks and crannies as needed. The former method is
> overwhelmingly used; I'd like to see more of the latter, because it's
> the more effective approach for advanced studies.

[snip]

the approach you seem to favor already exists. it usually involves a
dissident winuser getting hold of something a tad more complex than they
need, like slackware or debian, then balking at the learning curve, then
finding mandrake or, even suse or redhat about six months after the first
brave bolt to freedom, and eventually getting pissed off enough with those to
come back to debian. even if they end up choosing slack, they eventually tend
to migrate to here. so the process is already in place. by the time people
make it back to here, they've already learned enough to know what they need,
and to be selective enough to stick to what they need, and work from that
point onwards.

on the other hand, maybe lindows is all that you need, or perhaps that
multi-conglomerate plan that made the news a while ago--not that there's
anything wrong with going that way. just that this is where the real shit
exists. maybe i've misunderstood what you say you need; nonetheless, this is
the real deal, and where asking and answering anything you'll ever need to
know is the only reason why any of us are here. lesser distros mailing lists
most likely won't do much more than keep you hooked on the lesser distro.

let me put it this way: it's all gold around here, and it sounds like you're
asking for silver. lurk awhile, and you'll discover that gold is what you
wanted, all along. that's really not a put-down. hang out and you'll learn
how to do whatever you want.

ben