bash login file [was Re: Debian equivalent of .login file?]

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:14:00PM -0400, Levi Waldron wrote:

> I found that commands in my .bashrc file got executed every time I opened a
> new konsole, but I have commands I only want to run once when I first log in.
> It seems there are 2 ways to make commands that only run when you first log
> in, but not every time you open a bash shell:

Are you sure? I did a simple test by putting the following line at the
top of my ~/.bashrc file:
echo You are using bashrc

I did not see the echo on starting a new konsole, but only when i logged
in on a virtual console. Also if you enter "bash" at the commandline,
you will see the echo.

> 1) put them in your ~/.bash_login file

Does this work? Using the same echo test as above I saw no success.

-Andy