Re: [despammed] Re: odd networking problem

Ed McMan, 2002-Oct-08 15:21 -0400:

> Tuesday, October 8, 2002, 12:00:40 PM, debian-user@lists.debian.org (debian-user) wrote:
>
> Jeff> Ed McMan, 2002-Oct-07 20:37 -0400:
> >> Argh.  Now I'm just more confused.  OK, tethereal picks up the pings
> >> leaving the machine.  So, that means there must be some kind of queue
> >> or rate limiter blocking it as the router never receives it.  That, or
> >> the switch is evil and blocks frames coming from that machine while in
> >> Linux ;)  Now, what kind of rate limiter/queuer could be blocking it?
>
> Jeff> Ed,
>
> Jeff> Can you run tethereal on the router interface to see if the pings are
> Jeff> reaching it?  You should still see the packets even though the router
> Jeff> isn't responding to them or dropping them...whatever it's doing.
>
> The router is only receiving the first few.

Hmm...and the only thing between the machine and the router is the
switch?  Try patching the machine directly to the router.  You'll need
a cross-over cable.  Also, have you found anything on the firewall
rules?  Try as root on BOTH machine and router "iptables -L" and
"ipchains -L" to see what rules might be there.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User