Re: IPv6 DNS Queries

Check the following recent threads. Looks like you may have the same problem
I was having.
- Local address lookup
- Exim - DNS problem
- Woody IPv6 problem finally, really, solved

>From the last thread:
[snip]
Woody versions of some Debian packages, like telnet,
and, it seems, exim, *require* IPv6 addresses for your local
machines (including localhost!) in /etc/hosts, or they will call
your ISP to ask for them. And of course your ISP's nameservers
don't have them either. Specifying local lookup ("files") in
/etc/nsswitch.conf does not help.

So if your /etc/hosts is, for instance:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.1     mars.my.home     mars
192.168.1.2     jupiter.my.home  jupiter
192.168.1.3     venus.my.home    venus

Then at the end of the file you have to add

::FFFF:127.0.0.1       localhost
::FFFF:192.168.1.1     mars.my.home     mars
::FFFF:192.168.1.2     jupiter.my.home  jupiter
::FFFF:192.168.1.3     venus.my.home    venus

The stuff already added to /etc/hosts by the Woody upgrade
process, like

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet

etc., should remain where it is.