galeon and its problems (was: tabbed browsing as 'zilla's default)

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2002.10.01.1245 +0200]:
> Alright, since it's you saying that, and thanks to aptitude and the
> automatic dependency management (incl. de-installation), I am giving
> it a shot.

It's a cool browser, light and fast. And nevertheless, I am having
problems with it (version from sarge). From what I can tell right now,
the only things that keep me from letting galeon replace opera on my
various desktops are:

  (a) dependencies; that i could live with i guess.
  (b) keyboard control; i am failing to switch to the next tab with
      ctrl-right and ctrl-left, and i can't close tabs with ctrl-w.
      furthermore, i want to make ctrl-n bring up a new tab.
  (c) the external program to view source code is continually reset to
      the default (gnome-edit), not accepting my changes
      (`x-terminal-emulator -e vim`)
  (d) it keeps forgetting the homepage i set. on every restart, it's
      back to gnome.org (#145017)
  (e) it forgets the mailer selection and always goes back to Gnome
  (f) it crashes frequently on X cut'n'paste
  (g) in general, it crashes frequently and usually forgets some to
      a lot of the user preferences. that's a pain.

i have found no bugreports but the one on the above. maybe because
i am at fault?

today, i will gladly share my experience and advice,
for there are no sweeter words than "i told you so."