Woody - New Install Chroot Failure

Hi,

Have started with fresh machine and with Debian 3.0 Pressed disks.
I have tried various configurations with partitions on a 1.4G drive and still getting stuck with various stages of install.

ALL msg say:
Failure trying to run: chroot /target dpkg --force-depends --install /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_3.0.2_i386.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/base-passwd_3.4.1_i386.deb

Console windows say similar.

Could this be caused by a dirty CD?  (Have cleaned it several times.  Am lost and really want my woody to work.

Any ideas anywhere?
Thanks in advance

Kim