Re: Where is Debian going?

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 23:38, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:01:41PM -0400, Phil wrote:
> > As a nubie (into GNU-Linux for around 6 months) I think the Job Debian and
> > the FSF is doing is laudble  and heroic.  Debian in general is a roll your
> > own flavor of GNU-Linux not for the faint of heart.
>
> I'm going to have to disagree.  When I was a freshman in high school, I
> managed to install Debian on a box below the minimum requirements, and I
> know far more about computers now than I did then.  I recommend Debian
> or Desktop/LX to newbies depending on whether or not they have a clue,
> respectively.

Debian is the way for somebody with computer savvy.  Most people who
reads docs could do good, but most people don't like reading.  I know a
debian user who had to use Mandrake here at work and he was surprised
when the sound card was already configured and we didn't even have to
tell it which drivers to use.  Even though, a few weeks later he was
installing Debian on that system, thankfully.

  Sven