Re: [decided to reinstall] xhost setting problem

> >>Are you exporting XAUTHORITY=/home/login_name/.Xauthority   ?
> >

> > No, I think you are talking about something to do with xauth. I have not
> > used that before and it looks rather complicated from the man page
> > descriptions. I have decided to reinstall on that machine since my
partner
> > in crime did a lot of "tinkering" without documentation. It's good for
me to
> > get the practice anyway and since I have no idea where he may have left
> > something lurking, I probably shouldn't trouble you all with this
problem.
> > At least until I have a clean install and can say for certain what has
been
> > done to it!
>
> I was.  THis is often a problem with not being able to open a display,
> but your problem may be more basic.  I quick search on Google on
> X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect:
>
> will return lots of information.  One basic issue may permissions in
> /tmp for your X socket.  You should have the following in /tmp
>
> If not just remove them all of them and restart the Xserver
>

> hecke-trs$ ls -ld /tmp/.X*
> -r--r--r--    1 root     root           11 Jul  8 14:18 /tmp/.X0-lock
> drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         1024 Jul  8 14:18 /tmp/.X11-unix/
> hecke-trs$ ls -al /tmp/.X11-unix/
> total 7
> drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         1024 Jul  8 14:18 ./
> drwxrwxrwt   11 root     root         6144 Jul 12 08:15 ../
> srwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Jul  8 14:18 X0=

Upon reinstall everything is working well. (Except for the usual hassle
getting X configured.) I looked at permissions on a different set of files
and wanted to change them but had no idea how. I got sidetracked and never
got back to that problem. I used ls -l to view them but had no idea where or
how to change them. Can you help?

Thanks,
Sivea