Re: Where is Debian going?

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 16:17, Hubert Chan wrote:

> [...]
>
> Shri> I understand the desire to keep the newbies away but should we
> Shri> really make it so difficult for them to start on a distro that
> Shri> makes life so much easier and using your machine
> Shri> enjoyable.
>
> Ideally (IMHO), a newbie shouldn't have to see anything except for
> stable (and previous releases), which is version-numbered like everyone
> is used to.  We're running into problems because there is a large gap
> between woody's release and potato's release, and because woody has been
> essentially-stable for several months.  Both issues have already been
> discussed.  Because of this, woody is becoming a better choice than
> potato for new installations.
>
> If the developers can get release rates down to something more
> reasonable, and the release process itself is fairly quick so that
> stable doesn't contain months-old packages, newbies will be able to use
> stable without complaining about being stuck with old packages.

Thats basically it , I suppose, the reason I prefer testing over stable
is the desktop. Most newbies (esp with M$ background) want something
they can understand and its easier with the current testing
distribution.

I believe that stable will be excellent for newbies once the desktop in
there is comparably easy to use as Windoze. It will have the best of
both worlds, ease of use and rock hard stability.

This is why as the original poster suggested, it might be nice to have a
stable branch for the desktop components which is closer to testing than
the current stable. Sure, there will be more bugs but they will have
less impact since if you want a machine that keeps running for a very
long period of time, they can choose stable

If however, they want a stable desktop, they can go for the stable
desktop option which will be buggier but will be fine for use as a
desktop. Just a thought.

Regards,

Shri