Re: Where is Debian going?

Bidder wrote:
> > A 'better not go there unless you know what you are doing' feeling is
> > perhaps exactly what is intended by the names 'testing' and 'unstable'.
>
> Exactly.  Not to sound exclusionary, but the last thing any free
> software project needs, much less one of Debian's scale, is a few
> thousand gnubies groping the unstable tree and filing uninformative,
> useless bug-reports by the dozens and posting to the mailing lists
> whining, "I'm running $politically-correct-substitute-for-unstable,
> something broke, and you all suck because of it."  It gets us nowhere.
>
> Wording doesn't need to be changed, in fact, it's a Good Thing.  Keeps
> the gnubies in stable where they may benefit from having a much larger
> number of people and with a software base where, at this point, we've
> determined we've got a good idea how all this goes together and know
> what can go wrong and how to fix it (oppose unstable, "Something broke.
> What a surprise...").

very well put, baloo. the way the system works, those who want to move from
potato to woody and/or woody to sid tend to cautiously word their requests
for info on making that change. the end result is that people end up where
they want to be, in the full knowledge that they are responsible for what
they do. the resources necessary to manage any such transition are freely
available. there are no mysteries involved. one can't help but notice that
all the clamouring for abandonment of what actually works tends to emanate
from the gnubies. still, i'm sure that if they hang out here long enough to
make sense of what they don't yet understand, the underlying wisdom of the
system will become more apparent.

the bottom line for me is always that because of the near maniacal brilliance
and dedication of a bunch of people who don't get paid a dime for their
efforts, i get to use the absolutely best operating system that money can't
buy--not to mention the crap for which people actually pay. forget whining
about your personal aversions to distro naming and, instead, offer a word of
thanks to the developers, the maintainers, the packagers, and the doc authors
whose product is proof enough of their right to name any and every part of
debian whatever they please. it's blatantly obvious you couldn't do better,
so get a grip, settle down, and start learning about what you've got before
hogging up bandwidth bleating about non-issues.

ben