Re: Bandwidth Monitor

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 08:49:58AM -0700, Alan Poulton wrote:
| Wednesday, April 10, 2002, 6:22:12 PM, Shawn McMahon wrote:
|
| > I can't recommend highly enough that you learn some basic scripting
| > skills.  It'll multiply what you can do with your system by orders of
| > magnitude, even after what you'd learn from a single one-week shell
| > scripting course or "learn bash in 24 hours" kind of book.
|
| I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'd like to follow some web tutorials,
| where would you recommend I start and would Perl do what I'm wanting?

perl can do what you want, and so can python, c, and likely bash too.
I find python to be much easier to understand than perl, and better as
an introduction to programming.  perl and bash are kinda similar, but
bash is meant as a shell and generally needs external programs to do
the heavy lifting (eg find, sed, awk, grep, etc) whereas perl is meant
more for text processing.  perl has modules to do lots of
general-purpose programming tasks, as does python.  C is too low-level
for what you want, though if you work at it it can do just about
anything.

HTH,
-D

--

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but he who hates correction is stupid.