Bandwidth Monitor

I am needing some way of tracking bandwidth. All I really need is
someway to track the bandwidth, over a period of time, used by eth0 -
the NIC connected to the Internet. I am running a gateway where I have
eth1 connected to the internal LAN so the idea of tracking and logging
bandwidth used by each user has some appeal to it as well. Though the
latter is not a priority.

The reason I need this is because I may be switching ISPs from DSL to
Cable in the next couple months, but the Cable limits bandwidth per
month and I need to know how close I get to that currently.

I did a search yesterday on this subject and found IP Flow Meter (ipfm).
I tried downloading it and installing it, but when I ran it, I got an
error along the lines of "Error opening Linux RAW Socket".

Has anyone had experience with ipfm, or can recommend another utility
that will do what I need?

--
  - Alan Poulton (apoulton@telus.net) -
Am I wise, or otherwise?