Re: Sources from Sid & Binaries from Woody

Holger Rauch <Holger.Rauch@heitec.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for your quick reply!
>
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, David Z Maze wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > Sure, if you're willing to accept that 'apt-get install' and 'apt-get
> > source' will get you different versions of things.  (And it sounds
> > like that's your intent.)
>
> What I would like to do is install the more stable things from Woody and
> on the other hand want access to newer stuff as well. I thought that using
> "apt-get source" and compiling the stuff myself will make it possible to
> integrate these packages cleanly in a running Woody-based system.
>
> The main thing I'm worrying about that the dependencies between the source
> packages from Sid are different to those of Woody and that apt-getting a
> single source package might lead to a recompile of half of the distro. Is
> this a real danger or am I exaggerating?

First of all, 'apt-get source' only downloads and extracts the
specific source package you requested.  Nothing more.  There's no
danger at all.  However, 'apt-get build-dep' will actually download
and install the build dependencies.

Second, due to the imminent release of Woody, the Woody and Sid
archives are nearly in sync right now, so can even apt-get a binary
from sid pretty safely.  Of course, that changes when woody is
released...

When woody and sid diverge, AFAIK the only problem that can go wrong
with your setup is that some build-deps will not be satisfiable if
they don't exist in the woody archives.

More info:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

--