Re: The quest for rodent power

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 09:14:03PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> writes:
> > It was the one sec delay that I was after:)  So it's similar to what
> > happens here including that `Alarm clock' message.  BUT I only get
> > that behaviour when an other gpm instance is running.  Weird.
>
> Can you see the other gpm in ps output before running the test?

yes I can, so I think it's something else at your side.  Might be
worthwile to try to find out what generates the "Alarm Clock".

> Is it possible for gpm to be running in the background and not show up
> in ps output?

Not likely.

> Does the fact that running the bare gpm command produces 3 lines of
> reverse video in the center of my console, as if hilighted by a mouse
> indicate anything special to you?

I think it's cause by gpm mistakenly reads something from it's default
port and reacts to that.  Would be good to look into the source and
see just what it's default port is.

I'm loosing track of what has been tried and what not, so I ask:)

did you try to leave out the repeat stuff, like with:

    # /usr/sbin/gpm -V+9 -m /dev/psaux -t ps2

And how did that go?

And did you try to test it's reading from /dev/psaux, like in

    # /usr/sbin/gpm -V+9

does gpm show up in `ps ax' output?  And while it's running does

    # lsof /dev/psaux

show that gpm is reading from it?

--
groetjes, carel