Re: The quest for rodent power

Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> writes:

> I'm loosing track of what has been tried and what not, so I ask:)

Yes, me too.  Bad news on that front.  I've reinstalled completely
twice since this report.  I decided to reinstall when after all the
tinkering with mouse, I tired to return to square one with my saved
original config files and could not get X or console working.  Not
only the mouse but worse.  X would come up.  Then I'd get one tiny
mouse motions in.  Maybe 1/2 inch and freezo.  Couldn't even get a vt
or use C-A <BS> to get out.  Fortunately I had a ssh terminal started
on another machine and could kill stuff or reboot.
Now on the second try.  Still loading down software with a net
install.  I'll report back when I get it running.

> did you try to leave out the repeat stuff, like with:
>
>     # /usr/sbin/gpm -V+9 -m /dev/psaux -t ps2

I didn't try that no.  Did you recommend it?  I didn't catch it if you
did .. sorry.

> And did you try to test it's reading from /dev/psaux, like in
>
>     # /usr/sbin/gpm -V+9
>
> does gpm show up in `ps ax' output?  And while it's running does

I did see that part yes.

>     # lsof /dev/psaux
> show that gpm is reading from it?

Can't answer that last part.
I did do one thing that may not have been reported.  I said
cat /dev/psaux  and watched all the guff on screen while moving the
mouse.  Maybe that nails it down a little better.

Sorry to be so flakey here, with reinstalls but, getting desperate for
a working setup.