Re: The quest for rodent power

John Foster <jfoster@augustmail.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>

>> > But since the mouse works in X, I assume that that X reads from
>> > /dev/psaux.
>>
>> Edited gpm.conf:
>>
>> device=/dev/psaux
>> responsiveness=
>> repeat_type=raw
>> type=ps2
>> append=""
>> sample_rate=
>>
>> [...] Thanks for the tutorial overview of how it works

> see output of "dmesg"

Thought I had already mentioned that neither dmesg or
/var/log/messages has any info about gpm.
grep gpm /var/log/messages only shows the stale pid being removed
dmesg|grep gpm <nothing>

What I'm asking for here is how to know what theh mouse is supposed to
be on if all the easy ways are not telling me.

>> Edited version now is:
>>
>>    Section "InputDevice"
>>            Identifier           "Configured Mouse"
>>            Driver               "mouse"
>>            Option               "CorePointer"
>>            Option               "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"

I completely screwed up the advice given in the above edit: It should
have been like below to follow the advice given:

    Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier  "gpm-mouse"
       Driver      "mouse"
       Option      "CorePointer"
       Option      "Device"            "/dev/gpmdata"
       Option      "Protocol"          "PS/2"
       Option      "Emulate3Buttons"   "true"
       Option      "ZAxisMapping"      "4 5"
    EndSection

Which I did try.  The result was no gpm mouse. X starts but has no
mouse.

> the line above should be                  "/dev/mouse"

 /dev/mouse is a symlink to gpmdata

> and you should have a hard link in the /dev dir for @mouse that points
> to /dev/psaux
> or depending on your version of gpm you may also have /dev/@gpmdata as
> the pointer to /dev/psaux...either one should work.

/etc/gpm.conf is set to /dev/psaux.  So the X mouse cannot be
... right?

Here is the current situation in /dev
ls -l /dev |grep 'mouse\|psaux\|gpm'
prw-r--r--    1 root     root        0 Mar  4 23:56 gpmdata
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        7 Feb 28 21:41 mouse -> gpmdata
crw-------    1 root     root  10,   1 Mar  4 23:45 psaux
crw-rw----    1 root     root  10,  32 Nov  4 14:52 usbmouse

How should it look by your technique?