Re: The quest for rodent power

Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> writes:

[...]

Carel,
Somehow I missed this post of yours
Here are some answers:

> e.g. I.m curious whether the above long gpm command
>
>    # /usr/sbin/gpm -D -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -Rraw
>
> did return immediately or kept running and that you did the
>
>    # ps waxul|grep gpm

That is a typo should be   # ps waxu|grep gpm

> in a different xterm/console
>
> It's the way you worded the events that made me wonder.
> Probably it's just that you wanted to make sure that gpm
> didn't put itself in the background although the -D option
> told it not to, but I'm not sure.

Its not clear what you want to know here.  I just ran the same test
again.  There is about a 1 second delay before the prompt comes back
and prints the odd message.
Alarm Clock

Any of these after the -t flag: ps2 imps2 autops2  will provoke the
Alarm clock message.  All pause about a second.

[...]

> So we really still don't know if this file is okee, do we:)

Now posted

>> Its just that nothing actually happens.
>
> yep, that's why I think you should stick to calling gpm directly and
> not use /etc/init.d/gpm

OK, will do.  Any further tests are command line only