Re: The quest for rodent power

Harry Putnam wrote:

> > But since the mouse works in X, I assume that that X reads from
> > /dev/psaux.
>
> Edited gpm.conf:
>
> device=/dev/psaux
> responsiveness=
> repeat_type=raw
> type=ps2
> append=""
> sample_rate=
>
> [...] Thanks for the tutorial overview of how it works
>
> >> How can I tell beyond doubt which device the mouse is on.
see output of "dmesg"

> Is there a difinitive answer to that... some canonical way to know for
> sure where the mouse is connected?  Is that likely to be a source of
> problems here?
> >
> >     /etc/gpm.conf:
> >         device=/dev/psaux
> >         repeat_type=raw
> >
> >     /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> >         Section "InputDevice"
> >             Identifier        "gpm-mouse"   # human-readable ID
> >             Driver    "mouse"
> >             Option    "Device"        "/dev/gpmdata"
> >             Option    "Protocol"      "PS/2"
> >             # Add other options according to personal taste...
> >         EndSection
>
> Edited version now is:
>
>    Section "InputDevice"
>            Identifier           "Configured Mouse"
>            Driver               "mouse"
>            Option               "CorePointer"
>            Option               "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
the line above should be                  "/dev/mouse"
and you should have a hard link in the /dev dir for @mouse that points
to /dev/psaux
or depending on your version of gpm you may also have /dev/@gpmdata as
the pointer to /dev/psaux...either one should work.

--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems

Specializing in multi-processor based business software environments!