Re: More cheese nibbler questions

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 03:05:57PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> writes:
> Err no, but isn't that what is printing those messages above?

Yep, it is.  But it's supposed to do more then just printing those:),
and I prefer to eliminate all possible errors, so I asked.  But again
nothing wrong here, it's excactly the same as the one in my woody
setup.

> >   make sure X is killed
> >   start gpm
>
> These tests and other reported earlier were run with no X.  X was
> never started.  Just a console login.

Well that sure is strange as I noted in an other post.  The one
message you managed to get out of `gpm -D ...' I get when there is
already a gpm running and I start a second one with that `gpm -D ...'
thing.  So to me it says, there probably is a daemon after all, or so
gpm thinks.

> >> repeat_type=ms3
> >
> > Please don't use anything else here but "raw", it complicates matters
> > unwieldly if you do.
> As posted in previous posts ... It quit working in X with the `raw'
> setting.  And also as posted, tests with no X and raw setting failed as
> well.

> Will that have a bearing on the fact that /etc/init.d/gpm force-reload
> doesnt start anything.

Yes, it will. As I explained before, when you instruct X to read from
/dev/gpmdata then it's vital that gpm works, otherwise there will be
no data for X to read from /dev/gpmdata.  The raw setting instructs
gpm to not perform some protocol translation whilst writing to
/dev/gpmdata.  Should simplify matters.

But the weird thing is that gpm doesn't work in console mode either.

> Here is another test with Raw setting:
>      /usr/sbin/gpm -V+9  -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -Rraw
>      /usr/sbin/gpm  -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -Rraw
> Nothing is output to syslog in either case and nothing shows up in ps output

A wild wild thought just came over me, what about leaving out the
repeating stuff?  And go for the simplest form first:

    # /usr/sbin/gpm -V+9 -m /dev/psaux -t ps2

If this works, then it's likely that the ownership/protection of
/dev/gpmdata is somehow incorrect, or even that it isn't a pipe.

> There is one way to get massive output:
>       /usr/sbin/gpm -V+9
> I don't understand a word of it but maybe someone will.

I'm sorry, it' gibberish to me too:(
But atleast it's reading something.

Wild guess work coming up:

when you do

    # /usr/sbin/gpm -V+9

does gpm show up in `ps ax' output?

And while `/usr/bin/gpm -V+9' is running does `lsof /dev/psaux' show
that gpm is reading from it?

If so you might try to add the protocol:

    # /usr/sbin/gpm -V+9 -t ps2

Just hoping to narrow it down a bit.

> cat /etc/init.d/gpm
> #!/bin/sh

This is the same file as on my system, so another problem source rulled out.

--
groetjes, carel