The quest for rodent power

Running woody (testing)

I've been ignoring this issue and working on other things but I really
miss having my little rodent in text mode.

Its a logitec 3 button ps2, critter that works in X just fine.

I can't remember how to tell with no doubt where the mouse is
connected. At which device.  I remember saying /dev/psaux during install
but that was just a guess.

Boot messages indicate gpm services are being started. But I have no
functioning mouse in text mode.

A grep of ps waux shows"
ps waux|grep 'gpm'  turns up nothing

The devices directory itself shows
ls -l /dev/ |grep 'mouse\|psaux\|gpm'

prw-r--r--    1 root  root       0 Mar  1 15:26 gpmdata
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root       7 Feb 28 21:41 mouse -> gpmdata
crw-------    1 root  root 10,   1 Nov  4 14:52 psaux
crw-rw----    1 root  root 10,  32 Nov  4 14:52 usbmouse

>From posts here, I got the idea that the XF86Config mouse section is
related to text mode mouse settings in some way.  That section of mine
looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

How can I tell beyond doubt which device the mouse is on.  And get this
thing configured and working.