Re: The quest for rodent power

"Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl@jorgensen.com> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 07:03:14AM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Running woody (testing)
>>
>> I've been ignoring this issue and working on other things but I really
>> miss having my little rodent in text mode.
>>
>> Its a logitec 3 button ps2, critter that works in X just fine.
>>
>> I can't remember how to tell with no doubt where the mouse is
>> connected. At which device.  I remember saying /dev/psaux during install
>> but that was just a guess.
>>
>> Boot messages indicate gpm services are being started. But I have no
>> functioning mouse in text mode.
>>
>> A grep of ps waux shows"
>> ps waux|grep 'gpm'  turns up nothing
>
> Odd. Perhaps there is a bug (gasp!) in gpm?
>
> To get more diagnostic info, try these after *stopping* your X server
> (switching to a text-mode VT ain't enough):
>     # /etc/init.d/gpm stop
>     # /etc/init.d/gpm start
>
> and keep an eye on what gets added /var/log/syslog.

`Stop' caused this to be printed:
"DATE HOST /usr/bin/gpm[1837]: Removing stale pid file \
/var/run/gpm.pid"

`Start' printed nothing whatever in log but did say it was started at
the command line command prompt.

> Posting /etc/gpm.conf will probably help too.
>
> But since the mouse works in X, I assume that that X reads from
> /dev/psaux.

Edited gpm.conf:

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=ps2
append=""
sample_rate=

[...] Thanks for the tutorial overview of how it works

>> How can I tell beyond doubt which device the mouse is on.

Is there a difinitive answer to that... some canonical way to know for
sure where the mouse is connected?  Is that likely to be a source of
problems here?

>     /etc/gpm.conf:
>         device=/dev/psaux
>         repeat_type=raw
>
>     /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>         Section "InputDevice"
>             Identifier	"gpm-mouse"   # human-readable ID
>             Driver	"mouse"
>             Option	"Device"	"/dev/gpmdata"
>             Option	"Protocol"	"PS/2"
>             # Add other options according to personal taste...
>         EndSection

Edited version now is:

   Section "InputDevice"
   	   Identifier	        "Configured Mouse"
   	   Driver		"mouse"
   	   Option		"CorePointer"
   	   Option		"Device"		"/dev/gpmdata"
   	   Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
   	   Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
   	   Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
   EndSection

What does the ZAxisMapping thing mean?

>         Section "ServerLayout"
>             InputDevice "gpm-mouse" "CorePointer"
>         EndSection

In that ServerLayout section, did you mean to only have one line
devoted to mouse? And others as they are?  My current setup there
is:

    Section "ServerLayout"
    	   Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	   Screen		"Default Screen"
    	   InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
    	   InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
    	   InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
    EndSection
Now changed to:
   Section "ServerLayout"
	   Identifier	"Default Layout"
	   Screen		"Default Screen"
	   InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	   InputDevice	"gpm-mouse" "CorePointer"
   #	   InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
   #	   InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
   EndSection

> I.e. stop X from reading from /dev/psaux, and tell it to read from
> /dev/gpmdata instead (use the same protocol & options as those that work
> for you now, no need to change them).

No X running, and made the edits above.  Rebooted and still have no
mouse in text console, and now X crashes magnificiently with `startx'

Hopefully there are the most relevent messages:

Module Loader present
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Mar  4 19:20:31 2002
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
	Undefined InputDevice "gpm-mouse" referenced by ServerLayout "Default Layout".
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

Fatal server error:
no screens found
[...]

I'll guess that the `screens' thing is really brought on by the first
error since that section seems to be in tact.

Of course I saved the original files so can return to square one
easily.