Re: The quest for rodent power

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 12:36:36PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> writes:
> >> Mouse doesn't work in X with these settings either.
> >
> > ofcourse not, because X depends on gpm to repeat the mouse events to
> > /dev/gpmdata.  Without gpm there won't be anything to read from it:)
>
> I'm getting really confused here.  With the most recent setup I posted
> I get no mouse in either console or X.  You say that is right since
> gpm isn't running.
>
> But in my original setup (posted againg below), X mouse does work but
> there is no gpm running there either.  Sorry to be so dense here, but
> I think I'm still missing some fundemental aspect of this.

Okee, hoping to dispell the confusion, it's worth noting that there
are *two* distict situations, one with gpm, the other without:

1) With gpm:
   don't run gpm, no mouse on console and in /etc/X11/XF86config have:

   Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
      Driver      "mouse"
      Option      "CorePointer"
      Option      "Device"    "/dev/psaux"
      Option      "Protocol"     "PS/2"
   EndSection

   Note the /dev/psaux here, so X is reading from the real device.
   This works for you, so the mouse and the ps/2 port and driver
   are all functioning!

2) Without gpm:
   use gpm.  Now you have the problem that Linux can't cope with two
   processes sharing /dev/psaux.  Still gpm and X need to know about
   the mouse events.  The solution out of this mess is to have gpm
   read from the real mouse device /dev/psaux, repeat all to
   /dev/gpmdata and then instruct X to read from /dev/psdata instead
   of the real device.

   In /etc/X11/XF86config you now have:

   Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
      Driver      "mouse"
      Option      "CorePointer"
      Option      "Device"    "/dev/gpmdata"
      Option      "Protocol"     "PS/2"
   EndSection

   Note the /dev/gpmdata.  Ofcourse if gpm for some reason won't
   write to /dev/gpmdata, then X can't read from it either.

   This doesn't work, though your config files are okee, so the
   gpm program itself or the daemon setup script is wrong.
   Post /etc/init.d/gpm to have it checked and try running
   /usr/sbin/gpm directly from the commandline (don't forget to add
   all needed parameters!)

> First we establish that gpm is not running:
>
> root # /etc/init.d/gpm force-reload
> Stopping mouse interface server: gpm.
> Starting mouse interface server: gpm.
>
> root # ps waux|grep gpm
>    <nothing>
>
> Gpm isn't running

And here is your sole problem!
Concentrate on getting the gpm program to produce more log info,
start /usr/sbin/gpm from the commandline with all parameters needed.
[someone else posted a good example]

--
groetjes, carel