Re: The quest for rodent power

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:25:32AM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> writes:
>    Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"

If your mouse has three buttons, then the above option should be removed.
It's there to make pressing both buttons on a two button mouse generate
the third button event.

Apart from that, both configs look okee to me.

> 1) I didn't rm /dev/mouse (The symlink)
>    But I don't think you are suggesting that is the main problem.

shouldn't be a problem.

> 2) More important probably.  You talk about both configs (gpm.conf and
>    XF86Config-4) Referencing the same mouse protocol but never really
>    say what that is.  For example: The gpm.conf I posted says `raw'

There are three places were mouse protocols can be specified, for gpm
there is the type parameter and the repeat pararmeter: the former
tells gpm what kind a data to expect on its input device, the latter
tells it what protocol gpm should use for the repeated mouse events
on /dev/gpmdata.  And then there is the "Device" option in the X config
that tells X wat protocol to expect on *its* input device (in your setup
/dev/gpmdata, in your original setup /dev/psaux).

The simplest way to make this work is to specify the special gpm
protocol "raw" for gpm's repeat parameter. This will steer gpm to
simply forward all mouse events unaltered to /dev/gpmdata.

Unfortunately gpm and X use different names for the same protocols,
but gmp's "ps2" and "imps2"  equal X's "PS/2" and "IMPS/2" resp.

> With that setup, and in console mode running this command:
> # /etc/init.d/gpm force-reload
> Stopping mouse interface server: gpm.
> Starting mouse interface server: gpm.
> # ps wuax|grep gpm
>
> Appears as if gpm is started but nothing shows in ps output and mouse
> doesn't work.
>
> Mouse doesn't work in X with these settings either.

ofcourse not, because X depends on gpm to repeat the mouse events to
/dev/gpmdata.  Without gpm there won't be anything to read from it:)

--
groetjes, carel