Re: Howto create a custom-kernel Debian ISO?

> Hi,
> I've been spending the last two days struggling with installing Debian on a
> Dell PowerEdge 4400 server. The problem is that the raid card (Perc 3/Di)
> does need to be enabled in the kernel to be detected correctly. I have
> compiled a kernel that detects it, but now I'm confused about how to get
> Debian installed, using this custom kernel...
>
> One way as I figure, would be to create a bootable ISO of the Debian cd and
> include my kernel. The question is, how would I go about that? Should I use
> mkisofs? If so how do I get the ISO correct?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Pontus

Won't it be easier/faster to boot with a floppy that has a custom
kernel? This will let you install with the Debian installation floppy
that is tailored to your machine.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.ht
ml#s-rescue-replace-kernel has instructions how to do it.

You can boot from a custom CD as well. Fortunately I do not know how
this could be done. However you might look at the Debian site as I am
quite sure you will find instructions for this as well.
--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(at-no-spam)bezeqint.net