Re: 2.2r5 Kernel Module Install Failure

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 07:59:42PM -0600, Keith Parkansky wrote:
| Early in the 2.2r5 installation
| (from CD) I get to the step
| "Configure Device Driver Modules"
|
| - I highlight "fs" and press Enter
| - I highlight "binfmt_aout" and
|   press Enter and the following
|   errors appear:
|
|  /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o: unresolved symbol do_truncate
|  /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o: insmod  (line wrapped)
|       /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o failed
|  /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o: insmod binfmt_aout failed
|  Installation failed
|
| After continuing with a very basic
| install (only selecting "C Dev" in
| the task list) it gets to the point
| where it starts to copy package files
| off of the CD and I get the following
| errors:
|
|  (several dpkg erros about directories not being
|   empty when removing PCMCIA files)
|  depmod: *** Unresolved symbols exist in
| /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o
|  Purging configuration files for pcmcia-cs ..
|  depmod: *** Unresolved symbols exist in
| /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o
|  depmod: *** Unresolved symbols exist in
| /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o
|  rmdir: /etc/pcmcia/cis: No such file or directory
|  rmdir: /etc/pcmcia: No such file or directory
|
| After this basic installation finishes,
| every time I boot the system the following
| error appears:
|
|  Calculating module dependencies...
|  depmod: *** Unresolved symbols exist in
| /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o
|

| Again, this is installing off the CD so it's
| not like I can update any files on it.  But
| I find it hard to believe they'd releae a
| CD image with a major but like this in it.
| What am I doing wrong ?

Have you tried _not_ selecting "binfmt_aout" in modconf?

The only thing you really need to do during installation is
    1)  put a base system on a partition
    2)  make a boot disk

Every other step can be done at any time after installation.

-D

--

"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
impossible to accomplish complex actions."