Re: Howto create a custom-kernel Debian ISO?

On Friday 01 March 2002 22.36, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've been spending the last two days struggling with installing Debian on
> > a Dell PowerEdge 4400 server
>
> . The problem is that the raid card (Perc 3/Di)
>
> > does need to be enabled in the kernel to be detected correctly. I have
> > compiled a kernel that detects it, but now I'm confused about how to get
> > Debian installed, using this custom kernel...
> >
> > One way as I figure, would be to create a bootable ISO of the Debian cd
> > and include my kernel. The question is, how would I go about that? Should
> > I use mkisofs? If so how do I get the ISO correct?
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > Pontus
>
> Won't it be easier/faster to boot with a floppy that has a custom
> kernel? This will let you install with the Debian installation floppy
> that is tailored to your machine.
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.ht
> ml#s-rescue-replace-kernel has instructions how to do it.
>
> You can boot from a custom CD as well. Fortunately I do not know how
> this could be done. However you might look at the Debian site as I am
> quite sure you will find instructions for this as well.

Thanks, Yes, I admit It would seem easier, but I really want this neat cd to
work. Mainly because it's a production machine and anyone without too much
knowlede should be able to reinstall if ever(!?) neccessary. ;) So I will
gladly have a look at the Debian site!

Regards, Pontus