Re: Howto create a custom-kernel Debian ISO?

On Friday 01 March 2002 21.37, Emil Pedersen wrote:
> > Hi, thanks for the suggestion... I've tried that already, what happened
> > was that it presented me with the gui, and trying to set the
> > keyboardlayout, it told me /tmp/'something' wasn't writable. (The machine
> > is at work, hence the uncomplete error). What worked better was booting
> > of a win98 bootdisk and then run /install/boot.bat from a copy of the cd
> > I burned with the kernel replaced. It works well until the kernel &
> > modules are to be installed... Some things are missing/not readable, even
> > though everything seem to be in place browsing it in windows. That's why
> > I'd like to try to create a "true" Debian ISO with the patched kernel
> > instead. If you get your cd working, please let me know how you did?
> > Thanks, Pontus
>
> When you tried the floppy method, did you run rdev (or similar name)
> with the right argument (or edited the script)?  When I did this the
> first times I got the same problem.  Someone pointed me to rdev
> arguments, and I then found out that for som
> e reason the default
> parameters make things mount read only.  You can either remount it
> writeable when the problem occurs (when installing), or change the rdev
> script (and run it) so that the mountpoints gets mounted writeable.
>   Since it was a while ago I did this things might have changed, but it
> could be worth a check.
>
> As for the cd attempts, you did update all modules to match the new
> kernel version, right?  Otherwise I don't think modconf will find/use
> them, thus you can't load them when installing.  Thats why I suggested
> to make all necesary drivers built in the kernel.
>   (At least I think that is what happens, but when it comes to module
> configuration/usage you should realy ask someone else...)
>
> // Emil

Thanks! Suddenly I have an urge to get back to work again, so I can try this!
;) And for my cd attempt, yes, you're absolutely right... I was way too tired
to remember to update the modules... I won't give up on the cd though, I'll
try to figure out how such an image should be built! Can hardly wait 'til
Monday... :)

Have a nice weekend, Pontus